Haven Accountants and Financial Advisers

Home Blog Insurance for the self-employed
Insurance for the self-employed


Self-employed people are usually covered under ACC so it might seem like any other insurance isn’t really necessary. But when you’re self-employed, making sure you’re covered for any eventuality is important. If you get really sick and can’t work, or you make a professional mistake that inspires legal action, you’ll need to make sure you have the right cover in place.

Income protection

It’s important to remember that ACC only covers accidental injury, not a serious illness, or conditions related to mental or emotional issues. If you receive a cancer diagnosis and become too ill to work, your livelihood could be at stake, so you want to make sure that you have some kind of income protection in place for such an event, even if you already have ACC.

If you feel as though you would be paying too much to have both ACC and income protection cover, chat to one of our advisers about how to reduce your levies.

Liability insurance

Depending on what kind of work you’re doing, it’s a good idea to have some kind of liability cover in place. This protects you if someone takes legal action against you or one of your employees. For example, if you make a professional mistake, such as giving the wrong advice, or you’re a painter who damages a client’s property, liability insurance will keep you covered. It usually covers you for the cost of compensation, and any legal fees involved.

Business interruption insurance

Business interruption insurance covers you for any losses you might face if you’re forced to stop trading after an event like a fire or an earthquake. It’s designed to return your business to the same financial position it was in prior to the event so you can resume normal business as soon as possible.

Commercial vehicle insurance

If you’re using a vehicle for work purposes, it might be a good idea to take out a commercial vehicle insurance policy as opposed to domestic vehicle insurance. This is because many domestic vehicle policies don’t cover you if you’re using your vehicle for work purposes, such as carrying tools.

If you’re not sure what kind of insurance you need, or you’d just like to chat about reducing your ACC levies, get in touch with us and we’ll get you sorted with the right kind of self-employed insurance.


Want to chat about your insurance?

Get in touch with us!